January Take Always:
- Panel prices almost down to year-ago levels
- A little relief on Lumber prices, but Western species (SPF, DF and Studs) still remain high
- US Housing starts are up at the end of 2017
- Housing demand remains strong
- Construction is predicted to be strong in 2018
Here is a quick video summary of the market
The Softwood Lumber Dispute continues to play out as the US and Canada negotiate back and forth. The latest development is the implementation of the duties on Canadian lumber beginning to take effect. While the adjustment for these duties has been priced into the lumber market for close to a year, the strong US Builder demand coupled with the lost timber harvest due to wildfires keeps pricing high.